Contact Me

(251) 752-8684, Facebook: Sean Whatley, Twitter:whatley7113@gmail.com, Skype: sean.whatley4892

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Blog Post 3


1. Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today

If all of the messages shown in this film are suppose to be indicative of a vision of students today across the United States, which I perceive the title to imply, then I say GET REAL!!! If the messages in the film are drawn from the data of the surveyed student population, which is only 200 people, then not only do I disagree with the video's statistical validity but I find the video to be misleading and ignorant, and again I say GET REAL!!! I find myself questioning many of the statements in the film. These questions begin just after the video starts and the camera zooms in on a question written on the back of a classroom seat. The question is: If students learn what they do, then what are they learning sitting here. This question leaves me annoyed. The short and obvious answer is to pass the class. This answer really applies to everyone, however this answer for me, as I’m sure for others, stems from something deeper and more important, which is to get an education. I agree that people learn through experience, but I feel that listening is equally important. This initial question, in conjunction with the bleak music playing in the background, seems slanted to imply that experience is everything. Although experience is necessary to learn some things, it’s not necessary for every lesson in life. I believe the classroom setting and the act of sitting in class and paying attention is an effective way of learning, if it was not then were would our world be today. Forgetting how far classrooms and teachers have brought us as a species, since their inception, is naive. To protest the classroom setting as outdated or pointless is foolish. Instead I think what should be protested is a students drive to learn, which (in today's materialistic society)seems to be minimal from the messages in shown this film. Overall I object to any implied notion that suggests experience (or doing something) is the only way to learn, and instead believe that we learn by both listening and doing.

I’m confused when I see a series of messages showing how much time students are spending on various activities throughout the day, in which the final number of hours is 26.5. What is the point of this information? It’s either useless information or it’s suppose to be some sort of message, which I can only interpret it as I or students in general don’t have enough time to do everything. Following this someone holds up a message and says I’m a multi-tasker followed by a message that says I have to be. Well the last time I checked unless you’re in the military, prison, or a hostage you don't have to do anything. As for the message that implied there's not enough time in one day to do everything, I respond by saying time management is fully the responsibility of the individual, and if you as an individual cannot handle a introductory anthropology course then maybe you should find a solution, like less time on facebook or quitting school, because I personally do not like people who are ungrateful of an education opportunity that millions of other people around the world will never get.

Another message that just doesn’t make any sense to me is the one that says when I graduate I will probably have a job, that doesn’t exist today. If this implies that many students will have jobs in professions that don't exist just yet then I have say again get real. Okay maybe you will have a job that doesn’t exist but the majority of us will not. What I'm saying is that if I’m going to school to be a history teacher or a nurse then I fully expect and most likely will be employed as a nurse or a teacher, and if you interpret it differently and pretend that this applies that to all graduates, I say get real since I find it highly improbably that new jobs (professions) are being created as fast or almost as fast as people are graduating. However if this is meant to act as a statement to imply that jobs are expanding in numbers, not professions, then I agree.

Again I’m confused when the video shows a message stating filling this out (scantron) won’t help me get there (to a job that is), or deal with war, poverty, ethnic conflict, hunger, etc. Yes, it may not get you a job but for many it will. As for the second part, if you want to deal with war, poverty, ethnic conflict, and hunger then become the president, a diplomat, a missionary, etc. but remember all these jobs require an education, which might entail a written test or two. If on the other hand you are worried about being negatively affected with these issues, then stay in school and stop complaining, or quit and go out and get a job. The film goes on to show messages such as, I facebook through most of my classes, I bring my computer but I’m not working on class stuff, I complete 49% of my assigned readings – only 26% are relative to my life, I'll buy a hundred dollar textbook and never open it, etc.

Sorry but I think a more fitting title would have been “fueling generalizations” by Michael Wesch. Gathering the information of 200 people, who mind you are in a introductory anthropology course, and arranging it into a video which has been given the title “A Vision of Students Today” is misleading and questionable at best. Lacking audible dialogue the film seems to be completely open for interpretation. As per my personal experience, the film is far from being accurate. The part in the video about debt after college is probably the argument I most agree with. I understand that my reaction to this film may be overzealous and slightly strong, but this is my interpretation of the video. Maybe I'm wrong? If you are reading this and disagree with my interpretations I hope and fully encourage you to send me your thoughts.




2. Kelly Hines: Its not about the Technology
In this article Kelly Hines contends that learning in the 21st century isn’t all about technology. Kelly goes on to say that there are four things that every teacher should recognize if they want to leave an impact on their students. Kelly tells us that teachers must be learners, that learning and teaching are not the same, technology is useless without good teaching, and so on.

I find all of Kelly’s arguments and strategies to be very true. I strongly agree that teachers must be learners. I believe that all teachers should be subject matter experts in their perspective field, and I think one of the most important ways to do this is by continuing education. I feel that teaching is a job of passion and intrigue. With the task of enriching the youth, it only makes sense to strive for more and more knowledge. Another great point Kelly makes is that technology is useless without teaching.

3.Karl Fisch: Is It Okay to Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?
The article by Karl Fisch: “Is It Okay to Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?” says no it’s not okay. Karl’s seven rules really focus on teachers being accountable for their inadequacies. Throughout his seven rules Karl argues for no toleration when it comes to teachers excuses for being technologically illiterate. Using this approach, the task of becoming technologically literate is the responsibility of the teacher.

Because of the benefits it provides, not only to students but also to teachers, I feel that technological literacy should be embraced with open arms by all institutions of learning. For the most part I agree with Karl’s views and he makes a good point when he says we've had personal computers for thirty years now, it’s time to adapt. Now that technology plays such a huge role in the lives of our youth I fully support the idea of mandatory technological literacy. I still support Kelly Hines view that technology isn’t necessarily the cornerstone of learning, but I also support Karl’s belief of holding teachers accountable for being technologically literate and feel that it's the right thing to do, not only for the benefit of the students but also for the teachers.



4.Gary Hayes: Social Media Count
Gary Hayes Social Media Counts application is great a tool for reminding us of the importance of the internet in our society. It’s amazing how linked to the internet we really are. This application has really shown me the explosive growth rate and power of the internet. As the seconds pass it’s evident that our world is becoming more and more virtually connected.

I definitely appreciate just how much easier my life is thanks to the internet and other technologies. I feel both excited and nervous as the internet and other technologies expand. It’s exciting to think where we might be in 50 years if we keep up this rate of expansion, but at the same time as our dependency grows I wonder how devastating it might be if one day in the future it just all fails.

3 comments:

  1. Sean Sean Sean,

    You are very opinionated. Great job! I do agree with you on the fact that experience is important but it is not everything. Things can be learned effectively in the classroom.
    However, I have to disagree with you on a few points. Military personel and prisoners are, in fact, forced to do certain things. But from personal experience, never being in the military or prison, I have HAD to do things. Most people have goals, correct? Us merely average civilians have aspirations, as well as military personel and prisoners, in which we are forced to do things in our pursuit for happiness.
    Your statement about non military or prisoners, "...I don’t have enough time in one day to do everything, that’s your fault because your irresponsible and you don’t manage your time in a manner that’s logical. I say it’s not that you can’t manage your time, but rather you choose not to and then post a whiny message about it, GET REAL! " (The whiney message, such as a facebook status, does get very annoying. Lol) I'm just pointing out the fact that maybe, perhaps, some people do not honestly have enough time in their day. We will never know unless we walk in their shoes. I think some of your accusations are inaccurate but I think that is because you have had a tough life and you have successfully completed arduous tasks, many at the same time. That being said, you feel like anyone should be able to succeed considering you have been successful without excuses. However, not everyone is the same and not everyone can handle the same levels of adversity as others.
    Don't apologize for disagreeing with the message of the video and definitely do not admit that your opinion may be wrong! You make good suggestions and valid points, especially about the sample size taken for this video being too small to prove an accurate generalization of all students.
    Your Kelly Hines' analysis is also very good. Teachers do need to engage and be creative in order to be effective!

    Good job!
    Jacey-Blaire

    ReplyDelete
  2. One word... Wow. Sean, you really voice your opinion and not afraid to disagree which is awesome.However, while watching " A Vision of Students Today" I agreed more on the facts that were given and feel I could relate. Also, experience and being active will be key in my classroom. I can remember in school sitting and copying everything my history teacher spits out.Honestly, the only reason I was successful in the class was because 1. my mother didn't play and 2. I'm just a determined person. Also,I agree Gary Hayes: Social Media Count opened up my eyes, too.In my opinion, it could be a reality check for teachers that are technologically illiterate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do we learn by listening but not doing? What do we learn by watching but not doing? What do we do by only doing? What do we learn by doing and watching? What do we learn by listening and watching? What do we learn by listening, doing and watching?

    Are there some things that are best done by one of the above 5 methods? What is best learned by listening alone?

    What is best learned by doing alone?

    And can we put values on different things learned (for example, it is better to be able to observe, describe, compare and contrast than it is to be able to name the counties in the State of Alabama?

    I think the process is much more complicated than you have described it.
    You certainly have approached you comments with vigor!

    Passionate. Shows genuine reflection and evaluation. Fun to read. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete